Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Real Moms



I was tagged by Kate for this meme, and for once, this one hit me hard enough to make a special effort to participate. I totally agree when Kate said we "....try to make things work out the best they can...". What else can we do?




"real moms sometimes have children you can’t see.this meme goes out to all the mothers who don’t get tagged for things like this. the ones who’ve given birth but had no baby to take home. who sit on the sidelines of conversations about mucous plugs and back labour, with stories to tell but no room to participate. who have a little gravestone or an urn or just a memory in the place of a child. who have adoption papers saying “relinquish all rights…” or ultrasound photos but nothing more. or who have two smiling school photos on their desk, but really, inside, count to three when you ask “how many kids do you have?”this is for all the real moms with children invisible to the eye."




When I saw this post I had 2 pictures I immediately thought of. The first one is Evan "helping" me decorate his big brother's grave for Christmas. The second is from Caleb's 3rd birthday when we went to his grave to release balloons. I still remember Evan standing there, watching the balloons go up into the sky, and saying "Bye bye Caleb" over and over. I sobbed. And of course tried to hide it from Evan.


5 Comments:

At 8:19 PM, Blogger Maggie said...

It's almost 23 years since I lost my 11 month old daughter (#2 of 3 children) and I'm still aching inside when someone asks me how many children I have. How much more so then for moms whose babies didn't leave the hospital. I have a sister who is one of those moms; she has no living children. Mother's Day is horrible day for her. Those who haven't had these experiences or aren't close to someone who has have no idea.

 
At 6:34 AM, Blogger Kathy McC said...

Your story of Evan saying bye bye Caleb made me cry. What beautiful pictures.

 
At 7:58 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

I linked here from all the meme tagging. Your pictures of a real mom are so moving.

My heart stopped when I say your son's name is Caleb. My first son is Caleb. April 24 will be the first anniversary of his death.

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger kate said...

wow, you did it! You rock! LOL

(yeah, i thought of that picture with the balloons, too -- it is so beautiful)

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger Brenda said...

Just beautiful!

Hugs
xxx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home