Monday, May 21, 2007

Homecoming

I've agreed to go to a homecoming. I have no idea WHY, but I did. My friend Jennifer' dh is coming back wednesday from an 8 month deployment. She is nervous as hell about it, so she asked me to come. I remember how scared I was when dh was on the way back from Iraq, and since I have been through it, I have no problem being there to support her. Well, except for the fact I have to actually BE there. I can't even watch homecoming's on tv without crying my eyes out.
This is the thing, I have been through ONE deployment. That was not exactly a normal situation. It was the START of the war, and our baby had died 5 days before dh was deployed. We had had no time to deal with that at all. The pain was all so new, but the excitement of dh finally coming HOME and knowing he was safe was there too. The problem is, there are also TONS of babies. And tons of daddys who have never seen their babies.
Every time I see a daddy in his uniform holding his baby, it reminds me of how dh's homecoming should have been. I'm going to deal with it though, partially for Jennifer, and partially so Evan will get the chance to see a ship come in (it really is an awesome site). Hopefully I can manage to keep myself from getting too hysterical.

4 Comments:

At 6:33 PM, Blogger Brenda said...

Oh that so terrible that it all happened within days of your baby dying.

I have seen tv footage of dads coming home from war to meet their babies for the first time. It makes me cry.

Your a good friend to go for support.

Hugs
xxx

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger delphi said...

I am sending you as much virtual support as I can!!! It sounds like it will be a huge and emotional experience. Bravo for taking it on.

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger kate said...

Awwww....that is so good of you to go to give Jennifer support. I don't think anyone will notice if you cry a bit....

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger kate said...

P.S. put up the picture of when your dh came back from his deployment!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home