Saturday, August 27, 2005

I'm kind of in shock here and don't quite know how to start. My mom just emailed me that my neice (she has custody of her and my 2 nephews) ran away earlier today. She was gone about an hour, but she is home safe now. Her and her brothers were outside playing, when one of them asked my mom if she was hiding. She had apparently run to the stop sign without anyone seeing her. (She is almost 10 years old)
Apparently she has been having trouble with her new teacher at school. She doesn't like her teacher, and kept telling mom she wasn't going to go to school anymore etc. Mom kept telling her she HAS to go to school because it't the law, etc. Mom has custody of the kids because their mom, after accusing my brother of abusing his kids, took off with them and then abandoned them with her mom. Her mom called my mom and basically told her to come get the kids because she didn't want them. So my neice has had a hellish life. There was alot of abuse that went on in her mother's "care" and mom saved the kids from that. My neice has been saying she was going to New York alot lately. They found her today more than a mile from mom's house. They were just about to issue an Amber Alert. Someone from a car dealership called the police because there was a little girl wandering around, lost and the police went to get her. She told the police that if they brought her back to mom's, she would just run away again. So then the police interviewed neighbors etc, to see if my neice was abused by my mom. My poor mom's first thought was that her mother had come and kidnapped her. We have all been so worried about someone snatching those kids and never seeing them again, and now we have to worry about my neice running away. She is now in the system as a runaway. If she does it again, she will most likely be placed into the foster care system. I just feel like I need to do something, but don't know what. There was a time, when her mother had her, when we thought she was dead, or that we would never see her again. Hasn't this family been through enough???

I think I need a drink..............

3 Comments:

At 2:35 AM, Blogger Kathy McC said...

That's so sad...I am glad they found her okay. It is such a shame what she's been through. Your mom is such a good person to take care of her.

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Roxanne said...

That is very sad. Do you know exactly what problems she's been having with this teacher? Perhaps they are pretty bad if she is trying to run away...sounds like this little girl has had a really rough time of things.

 
At 5:14 PM, Blogger Jillian said...

That poor little girl:( And your poor mum. The police were satisfied that she was no longer in an abusive situation though weren't they? And they know about her history?

I so hope she finds some peace and that something can be sorted out for her:(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home