Thursday, August 25, 2005

Welcome Home USS Saipan!!!!

Dh's old ship just pulled in a little while ago. And ya know what??? I STILL cry when I see the damn thing. The site of a ship pulling in is amazing. All those sailors lining the edge of the ship. My neice was amazed that those little white specks were PEOPLE. Thank God dh still has shore duty for 2 more years.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Forgot to mention this in my last post. I just got off the phone with my mom. She told me that the other day, my nephew Nathan (turns 7 on Monday) brought a yellow pinwheel home from school. He immediately said to mom "Can you please take this to Caleb?" She of course said she would. Then he told her they needed to get a balloon soon. She asked him why, and he said he wanted to send one to Caleb. What a sweet little boy. I really don't expect that kind of thing from him. He was really young when Caleb died, (4 and a half) and he really didn't know what was going on. He knew we were all very sad. But mom has pics of Caleb up everywhere she has pic of her living grandchildren, and always includes Caleb, so as Nathan has gotten older, he is starting to get it I guess. But the balloon thing blows my mind. He has never seen us take balloons to Caleb. That is usually just me and dh. It is just so nice to hear about someone else thinking about Caleb when it feels like everyone else has forgotten.

5 Comments:

At 4:53 PM, Blogger laura said...

what a lovely child. i hope he stays that way when he grows up.

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger Kathy McC said...

What a sweetheart.

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger Jillian said...

Awww - I would place money on the fact that he has ALWAYS known about Caleb and has understood his death too. I know what my girl was like at 4 and a half when Thomas was lost.

She 'got it' alright. He is certainly one special little soul.

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger MB said...

Kids are amazing.

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger Catherine said...

We could all learn a little something from such a caring heart.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home