Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Taken Advantage of Again

Well, sort of.

Last night we went to meet a friend and her 15 month old dd for dinner (her dh is on a ship and isn't home). We went to Outback. We got there kind of late, so just as we got to the table and sat down, my cell rang. I looked at the phone and saw that it was dh's cousin, Dan. We haven't heard from them since the first week in April. His wife's baby was due last Thursday. Honestly, I thought they had the baby and didn't bother to call us. So, I handed the phone to dh. After a minute of talking, he asked my friend and I if it was ok if Dan and his wife joined us. Peachy. They moved about 45 minutes away when she was a couple of months pg, but kept her same dr, etc. and they are supposed to deliver at the hospital near us. They had gone to the hospital because she was having contractions about 3-5 minutes apart. They were monitored, but not admitted because they said she was only 1cm, and they wanted her to go walk. So they came to Outback with us to eat.

This is the thing. This is the point in labor where Caleb DIED. Because I was sitting at home, waiting for the contractions to get too bad to tolerate (since I knew they would send me away from the hospital if I wasn't far enough into labor). He died, and if I had been on monitors, they would have been able to see his heart decel. They could have possibly gotten him out.

So here is Dan's wife, in labor, and not on monitors. And now I am forced to be around here. FUCK. After dinner, dh, J (our friend), Dan and his wife, all decide to go to the mall. J and I wanted to go to Bath and Body Works ($3 shower gel!!! wooohooooo!!!) and Dan's wife needed to walk anyway. As soon as we got to the mall, J and I went our seperate way. Dh stayed with his cousin. And J and I talked lots of shit. I told her how much I appreciated her knowing I needed to be mean. I needed to talk about how stupid Brandy is (Dan's wife). And I needed someone who would join right in with (and J was more than willing!!). Brandy told everyone she saw that she was "Already 1cm dialated!!" and J and I rolled her eyes. At one point, I told her I was 1 cm for 2 weeks with Evan. Her response? "You mean you felt like this for *2weeks*?? We hung out at the mall until about 8, when we went home to put Evan to bed. Dan and Brandy came with us. They basically ended up staying here last night. Brandy said over and over that she didn't want to have her baby on 6/6/06, and we gave her hell about it. Dh said to name him Damien, and we told her she was having the spawn of satan. I know, we are terrible. I was just so pissed off at being thrown into the whole situation.

This morning, when dh and I got up, they had left. We called them to see what was going on around 10:30 this morning. She was at 1.5 cm, and on pitocin. They are supposed to call us and keep us updated. I guess next we will be expected to go see the baby after it's born. Great.

2 Comments:

At 4:38 PM, Blogger delphi said...

This is what I think about all the time:

"This is the point in labor where Caleb DIED. Because I was sitting at home, waiting for the contractions to get too bad to tolerate (since I knew they would send me away from the hospital if I wasn't far enough into labor). He died, and if I had been on monitors, they would have been able to see his heart decel. They could have possibly gotten him out."

Only subsitute my son's name for Caleb.

I am pissed off that you had to deal with this situation (horrible, absolutely horrible), glad that you had someone to vent with, and will never again touch my copy of "What to Expect" that told me to stay home until the contractions were closer together. I hate the "what to expect" people.

Does this make sense? If only...

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger Julian's Mom said...

I hate the "What to Expect" people, too, and I never even bothered to read their books in the first place.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home