Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Scary Night

Last night, at about 2am, I got up for one of my (many) trips to pee. I stumbled into the bathroom, and didn't bother with the light (there is a nightlight in there). I pulled my undies down, and there it was. Blood. I was instantly terrified. I looked into the toilet, and there was a drop or red. RED. Fuck.
I got up, and came downstairs to tell dh, and to try to figure out what the hell I needed to do. I decided to wait and see if the bleeding got worse, or stopped. I had absolutely no cramping, no pain at all, just that damn blood.
I stayed up for about an hour (probably going through a whole roll of toilet tissue in that time) and the bleeding didn't stop. It didn't get worse, but it didn't stop. It was thunderstorming pretty bad outside, and Evan was asleep. I really didn't want to go to the ER alone, and I didn't want to wake Evan up, and drag him to the ER either. I knew that even if the baby was gone, there wasn't anything the ER would be able to do to save it, and the bleeding wasn't bad enough to hurt me. After about an hour though, dh started telling me that we WERE going to the ER. I decided to call the dr and see what he had to say about it all.
I had him paged, and he called back pretty much immediately. I told him what was going on, and he didn't seem too worried. He said that being 13 weeks, he wasn't concerned since I wasn't having any cramping, but that he wanted me to come in today so they could check things out. I asked him if he thought I should go to the ER, and he said he really didn't see the need.
So I told dh what the dr had said, and I went back to bed to TRY to sleep. By this point it was about 2am. I ended up passing out pretty easily, but had horrible dreams.
When I got up this morning I called the office, and they couldn't get me in until 1:15 (WTF???) The nurse I talked to told me to take it as easy as possible, and if the bleeding got worse, to call them back. I went back to bed (and let dh watch Evan) and tried to nap some. I was still bleeding some.
I went in at 1:15, and was there FOREVER. I have decided I really don't like this one nurse. When I told her about the bleeding, she says "So you are spotting". Umm NO. It's more than that. But not ALOT more. I was in the u/s room for roughly an hour waiting on the dr. Scared out of my mind the entire time. Thinking the worst. Over and over. The dr came in and did the u/s. He showed me the screen almost immediately. A LIVING baby. MOVING. With a HEARTBEAT. Thank you God.
He said the baby looks perfect at this point. He doesn't think this pregnancy is in any danger at all. He seemed very confident about it, and actually said he is really not worried. He thinks the reason for the bleeding is a low lying placenta. Not quite placenta previa, but close. He said he saw no clots or other issues at all. He told me to try to take it easy, and not to do too much lifting, and if the bleeding gets worse, to call him. And he told me to come in AS NEEDED.
So everything is fine. The baby is fine, just apparently likes to scare me out of my mind. I'm off to order my doppler now.

6 Comments:

At 8:55 PM, Blogger delphi said...

Good lord, that is scary. I am so glad of the outcome thus far. I am hoping and praying the best for you. Take it easy!

 
At 7:21 AM, Blogger Ann Howell said...

You must have been really freaked out! So glad that everything is okay. I hope the rest of the 9 months is as uneventful as possible... (((Big hug)))

 
At 7:35 AM, Blogger Kathy McC said...

Thank God everything is okay. How terrifying...

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Sarah and Tim said...

I'm so glad you had comforting news at the doc's office. Stinks you had to wait so long, though.

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger lorem ipsum said...

Oh God. I think my heart stopped along with yours. But HAPPILY, the one at the center of this all is going strong!

Rush rush, doppler!

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger MB said...

I hope everything is still okay and the bleeding has stopped for good. Hugs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home