Friday, July 14, 2006

All is Well

We had our u/s today, and everything is FINE. We have a heart beat, and the baby is measuring right on track. BIG sigh of relief. When the Dr did the u/s, Evan took one look at the screen and said "BABY!!" I was blown away. We have said absolutely NOTHING to Evan about a baby. Not ONE word.

The Dr we saw today was not technically my Dr (but he is the one my next appointment happens to be with too) but I did like him. I have to meet them all at some point, so I didn't see the point in changing the appointment because my dr wasnt there today. Dh and Evan came with me (I didnt want to be alone in case the u/s went badly, and we have no babysitter, so Evan had to come too.) Evan did pretty well, for a 2 year old. He wanted to play with the u/s machine (YIKES) and he LOVED playing with the stirrups. When the dr came in though, he got shy. Dr. W came in and one of the first things out of his mouth was "So you have 2 children?" Ummm yeah, but one was stillborn. I had to point that out, and he apologized and said he really should have read the WHOLE thing before speaking. He seemed really sorry though, and since I have come to expect things like that to happen, it wasn't that big of a deal. We talked for a bit, and he wanted to know what happened to Caleb, and so I explained it to him. He wanted to know if I discovered he was gone at a dr appointment, or what, so I told him about going to the hospital in labor, and him being gone. So then he asked if that was why I was induced with Evan, and I told him it was. I asked him if he thought inducing would be ok this time too, and he said he didn't see why not. He said that he would not induce if my cervix didn't look favorable, but with my 2 previous vaginal births, he didn't think it would be a problem at all. I asked if we could do NST's too, and he said that would be fine, and that we would figure out when we would start them as time went on (but he mentioned about 34 weeks. we will see if I can hold out that long. I will be 33 weeks on Caleb's b-day, so I may need more reassurance then). I also asked him what he thought about me renting a doppler. He said I could do it, as long as I promise not to use it at 3:30am. Haha. He would rather me not bother with one until at least 20 weeks, when I can feel movement and the heart beat is easier to find, but what's the point THEN? Jeez.
He seems to think that alot of extra monitoring, like NST's is not really needed, but he is willing to do it anyway to give me peice of mind. He kept saying that NST's don't really matter, and that things can change so fast. I get that. Trust me, I do. Caleb was moving just hours before we went to the hospital that morning. He was alive when I went into labor. But the NST's got me through those last terrifying weeks when I was pg with Evan, and I want to have that with this baby if I need it.
I am feeling a little better about the whole thing for now at least. My next appointment isn't until Aug 9th, so plenty of time to freak out, but for now I am calm.

9 Comments:

At 9:57 PM, Blogger Kathy McC said...

Congrats! That's wonderful that all is well. Yay!

 
At 5:47 AM, Blogger BabyDansMommy said...

Glad to hear your appt went well. Finding the right doctor can make all the difference. Congrats!

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger laura said...

congratulations!!!!!

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger lorem ipsum said...

That's just wild about Evan. It's got to be a good sign!

And August will be fine. Hot of course, but fine. Hang in there!

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger Dr. Grumbles said...

A heartbeat is a beautiful thing! That is so amazing that Evan knew it was a baby. I am so glad that things are fine!

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger Anam Cara said...

I'm so glad to hear all is well with baby. I am wishing you sanity between appointments and a very boring uneventful pregnancy with a little baby that kicks up a storm, for your reassurance! (((hugs)))

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger Sarah and Tim said...

I'm so glad you had such wonderful news today! Here's to many more positive appointments.

 
At 6:24 AM, Blogger sillyhummingbird said...

Congratulations! I am so glad to hear all is well with you and baby!

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger Ann Howell said...

Sorry for the late reply, but yay for the great u/s! I'm so happy that everything is as it should be. I hope the next appt. (and every subsequeent one, of course!) goes just as well. Take care!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home