Saturday, September 03, 2005

And I go against the Grain once again....

I can't seem to turn the tv away from CNN for the past week. Everytime dh comes in, he turns it, but everything just seems so insignificant. I am probably the only one that is NOT going to bash W for this one. I am not making excuses for him, I do think that relief took WAY too long to get there, but I also think that it wasn't HIS fault. I think part of the problem was that he had no idea how bad things REALLY were until he saw them for himself. I know it's no excuse, and he screwed up, but I also don't think he was alone in that screw up, and I don't think it matters at this point.

What I am TRUELY disgusted by is all of the comments about racism. What the hell is THAT about?? And what GOOD does it do??? Is it getting any of those people any help? Is it saving lives??? I don't think any of it has anything to do with racism. NO is a very very poor place (for the most part) and most of those poor people are black. But I don't really know if any of this would have worked out any differently if there was a bunch of white people down there. Now if you want to say it's because they are poor.......well maybe that one is true.

It all just breaks my heart. People want to sit around and bitch and complain about how things aren't being done right, etc. but how is that helping? Can't all that negative shit wait until after all of these people at least have water??? It really makes me physically ill.

1 Comments:

At 11:12 AM, Blogger Roxanne said...

But I sort of wonder if our government would not finally have reacted if people weren't being so critical. Maybe I am just very cynical about our current administration. I admit that I do not really trust our current administration to act in the best interest of all the American people. They are constantly divisive.

It does seem clear that money that should have gone to fix those levees instead went to Iraq. It seems unclear to me whether there was a shortage of National Guard to go down there or whether it just took time and whose fault that was (if it was anybody's fault).

I think that race and class are closely entwined in this country--especially in urban areas. But I think that you're right that ultimately it's more about class than race. But living in a place like Richmond, it's hard not to wonder why sooo many more black people live in the city rather than the counties (actually...I don't wonder about this...it's because of "white flight") and why there is so much more poverty in the city than in the counties.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home