Thursday, August 18, 2005

Random thoughts, Most of Which Aren't going to make me popular

I have finally gotten to the point where I need to vent about a couple of things. Not wanting to step on toes, but this is just the way I feel. Sorry if I offend anyone.

First off, there was an announcement on the mom's general chat board last night about a little girl diagnosed with Leukemia. My heart absolutely BREAKS for this woman. I can't imagine the hell she is about to face, watching as her beautiful little girl goes through Chemo and all of the other tortures of being sick. That being said, there was an immediate rally of support of this mother. And that is amazing, and I know she needs all the support that she gets. This is the thing, I am jealous (I can admit that that is what it all comes down to) Why don't Still born mom's get that support??? Where is everyone rallying around us?? We get a simple "I'm sorry" (if that) and that's it. They don't want to hear our stories, because they are scary. But damn it, where is the blinkie for MY son??? Doesn't he deserve the same??? I know my feelings on this issue are really petty, but I can't help it. It's just the way I feel.

The other thing, I am SURE is going to piss people off, but keep this in mind, I am a military wife. So I am sure you guessed what I am going to bring up. You got it, Cindy Sheehan. This is the thing, I truely am sorry that her son lost his life, and I TOTALLY feel for her pain. I know how brokenhearted she is, and I do wish it didn't have to be that way. The thing that bugs me about it is this, her son was not drafted. He signed up willingly. No, that doesn't make it ok that he died. That is NOT what I am saying. What I am saying is, that when you join the military, you KNOW that there is ALWAYS a possibility of going to war. He knew that when he signed up, and he signed up anyway. I am very sorry for his mother's loss, truely, I am, but I don't agree that W killed him. Chances are, he is ashamed of what his mother is doing. Chances are, that he was PROUD to serve his country. I know that that is speculation, but like I said, it's how I feel.

Can ya tell I have had a shitty day? Austin screamed pretty much from the time his mom dropped him off until I put him in bed at 7:30. Oh, and the headache is still there.

5 Comments:

At 10:10 PM, Blogger Roxanne said...

I'm not connected to the military in any way, so I will just acknowledge that right up front...but I just feel like this whole war was pointless. I think it's incredibly brave to serve, but I think it sucks that our government has essentially wasted people's lives. It seems like the whole war was so poorly thought out and that there weren't enough soldiers...my friend's 40 year old brother who is in the RESERVES has now been sent over to Iraq. He didn't sign up for that. He signed up to be a reservist...to protect our country here...not to go fight in Iraq. So I don't know how I feel about Cindy Sheehan but I do like that she's generating publicity to portray this war in a negative light, because I hope it ends really really soon.

Hope that wasn't offensive.

 
At 11:09 PM, Blogger Jillian said...

(((((((Julie)))))))) You have had a shitty day! And I don't think you are being petty wanting people to face up to little babies dying. It's a big deal and we pride ourselves on not having to deal with that sort of ugliness in this day and age. But it's only that we choose not to - not that it doesn't happen anymore.

Maybe if we were the kind of society that made blinkies for stillborns (instead of pretending it doesn't happen) we would also be the kind of society who funded research into still birth prevention like they fund research into childhood cancer. They are equally deserving causes.

As for Cindy Sheehan, I think I know who she is. I think you have some really valid points about how her son got there and how he might feel about his death and his mother's reaction. But not having any really close ties to the military, I do think those poor buggers got a lot more than they signed up for. In peace time the military is sold as a really good and stable career option, not a war machine. Kids sign up to learn mechanics or meteorology and barely consider war will ever happen. It's sad for everyone. War is a bad thing. Period.

Sorry about the short novel I have written here:)

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger Catherine said...

Can I just say that I hate blinkies? lol Seriously...they're the internet equivalent of bumper stickers. They drive me nuts.

You know what? Don't say what is popular...say what is in your head and your heart. Don't be someone you're not.

As for Cindy Sheehan's son...I hate to be blunt...but he's dead...he's neither proud nor disappointed in his mother.

 
At 7:00 AM, Blogger lorem ipsum said...

I still like you! You're intelligent and what you say comes across well, so even if I don't agree with certain points I like the fact that you HAVE opinions and know WHY you feel a certain way.

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger laura said...

first, let me say i adore you and appreciate so much that you were one of the first bloggers to reach out to me and draw me into the circle of support. second, i want you to know that i support you and your husband and your family and the choices you make and your right to make them, even if your choices are not always the choices i would make or want for my family.

that said, i think cindy sheehan is doing what she can to make some meaning out of the loss of her son. whether she supported his choice to enlist or not (and i think she did), what she has now is a dead son, and you and i both know what that's like. losing your child changes you, and it's changed cindy sheehan. i think she, like us, just wants some significant acknowledgement of the worth of her son's life.

and mr bush does not know how to acknowledge the loss of a child, so he avoids it. so does just about everyone we know ourselves. no one knows what to say to parents of dead children, not even the president of the united states.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home