Saturday, September 03, 2005

Forgot to mention

Yesterday someone knocked on my door. She said she was a neighbor, but I have never seen her (this is a pretty big apartment complex, so it's entirely possible). Anyway, she was going door to door asking for money so she could go down to New Orleans to find her family members. I didn't have any cash, so I didn't give her anything (we never EVER have cash on us) But the sad thing was, I kept wondering if she was really telling the truth. Did she REALLY have family down there? Or did she just see an oppourtunity to take advantage of people??? There have already been several reports of people pretending to be fire fighters collecting money. If she is truely a neighbor in need, I feel like shit for not helping her, but how do you really KNOW? I don't have much to donate to start with, so I would rather it go to someone I KNOW will be using it for the right thing.

4 Comments:

At 5:15 AM, Blogger Anam Cara said...

I am very cynical and also would have wondered whether she was telling the truth. It is awful but the truth is there are too many people willing to take advantage of others' misfortunes. I understand why you felt like shit for thinking that way and not givign her money, just in case she wsa telling the truth - I would have too. But I think you are better off donating to someone or some organization that you know will use the money for the right thing. Just my 2 cents.

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Kathy McC said...

You did the right thing. As much as it hurts to say no and you wonder what her motives are, it's better to donate through a reliable source. I am sure there will be many opportunities in the near future to help in non-monetary ways. Donating clothes, toiletries, supplies, etc. is another good way to help people who have lost everything. Don't beat yourself up...

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger Catherine said...

Donate to a recognized organization like the Red Cross or the Salvation Army if you don't know any individual personally.

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger lorem ipsum said...

Today's New York Times has an article about fake websites appealing for money. There are so many, it's appalling. One even was traced back to a white supremacist group. Unbelievable.

The Red Cross is the way to go!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home